Brexit 2019

In the event of the UK leaving the European Union on 29th March 2019 without a deal, it will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green card when driving in Europe (evidence of motor insurance for travel within European Union or specified EEA country – including Ireland, Andorra, Serbia, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland).

If any of our customers need to drive outside the UK from 29th March 2019, they must carry a Green Card. The legal requirements of the Green Card system mean that they must carry a physical document and it must be on green paper. If they are going to tow a trailer or caravan, they must also have a separate Green Card for that.

An International Driving Permit (IDP) may be required on or after 29th March 2019 if there is no deal and can be obtained from the Post Office.

We are asking for a minimum advance notice of 7 working days before travel to ensure we can meet the needs of the customer. The information we will require to prepare the Green Card is:

  • Policy Number
  • Dates of travel (inclusive)
  • Countries to be visited or travelled through
  • Use if other than for holiday purposes.
  • Drivers in addition to the policyholder
  • Details of any trailer or caravan including serial number

We will issue the Green Card and despatch to you or the customer depending upon your instructions.

If you have any questions or wish to know anything more, please speak with our

Broker HelpDesk on 01204 600 200.

Claim Online